Do you typically work from home? Or as most of us now, are home during the quarantine? Are you asking yourself what’s for lunch? I’m not sure about you, (and I love cooking) but it’s getting a bit tiresome prepping breakfast, lunch, and dinner, on repeat! But no matter what, we still need to eat, so try this ridiculously easy and healthy tuna salad. There is no cooking required, I promise. The best part, it comes together in under 5 minutes, or however long it takes you to cut up some radishes and cucumber. Furthermore, this tuna salad uses pantry staples and basic fridge ingredients.
How to prepare tuna salad?
To prepare this simple lunch salad, you'll need these basic ingredients:
- can of tuna (drained) -I like the Wild Planet Tuna
- mashed avocado (this will act as the dressing, instead of mayo)
- diced cucumbers
- diced radishes
- cilantro or parsley or fresh mint
- everything bagel spice
This healthy lunch salad is as simple as mixing all the ingredients in a bowl. Start with drained tuna, breaking it up into smaller pieces. Then, slice an avocado in half, mash it up. Add avocado to the bowl and mix it in with tuna. The mashed-up avocado performs as the binder or the dressing, instead of the traditional mayonnaise. Juice half a lemon to bring it all together. Season with salt. (If the everything bagel seasoning you are using has salt, skip the salt). Add diced cucumber and radishes, this will keep the salad refreshing. Lastly, add fresh cilantro or other fresh herbs you prefer (parsley or mint would work nicely) and sprinkle with everything bagel spice. I love adding this seasoning to avocado toast. However, particularly in this healthy tuna salad, I find that it elevates the flavors and adds a nice crunch.
I like Everything but the Bagel seasoning from Trader Joe's. However, if you are out of it or don't have one, it's easy to make. Maria from Two Peas & Their Pod has a recipe to make everything bagel seasoning from scratch.
There are many ways you can serve this and keep it gluten-free and paleo-friendly.
- Just take a fork and dig in, right out of the bowl.
- Add a medium-boiled egg on top and eat with some gluten-free almond crackers.
- Wrap it in a tortilla, collard green or lettuce. Enjoy!
Want more healthy lunch ideas?
Lastly, if you try this recipe, I would love to hear about it! Be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! And if you snapped some photos, tag and share them with me on Instagram.
Healthy Tuna Salad
- 1 can tuna, drained
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 3 radishes, diced
- ½ small lemon, juiced
- handful cilantro, chopped into small pieces
- everything but the bagel spice
- In a bowl, mash up an avocado. Mix tuna with avocado in a bowl, until well coated.
- Add cucumber, radishes, and juice of a lemon and mix.
- Season with salt, everything but the bagel spice and sprinkle with cilantro.
As someone else who abhors mayonnaise, this recipe is right up my alley! I have two packs of tuna waiting for this recipe in my pantry!
Glad to know there are more of us. Can't beat quick and easy!
Inna Rosenfeld says
Thank you for this great recipe
So glad you enjoyed it!